Thursday 8 April 2010

Thang 23: We are the library gypsies!


And now the end is near
And so I face the final curtain
My followers I'll say it clear
I'll state my case of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I travelled each and every E-highway
And more, much more than this
I blogged it my way.

Some basic principles I've learned along the way:
  1. Always check if your blog title has been used elsewhere. Oh dearie me, another Gigi's Thang at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuyCtuu-A5g
  2. Keep a sharp eye on your privacy permissions and how much self-info you are giving to the public.
  3. Keep copies of files on your home computer should the "Cloud" disperse abruptly.
  4. Discipline to up-date Web 2.0 sites on a daily basis, but not have your working life taken over by the virtual one.
  5. Librarians do have a thing for cats.
  6. Keep a notebook on hand for recording all your usernames & passwords and guard it with your life!

My like-o-meter:
  1. Blogger and iGoogle page with all their gadgets because you can personalize them and they do provide a one-stop-shop platform. iGoogle is like a monitoring centre whereas you can express more thoughts on Blogger with interactions from others.
  2. Facbook I find less attractive looking, but it may be easier for fans to comment on. I've used the "Note" tab to display my blog and I have a Twitter tab along with the Wall, Photo and Video. How do the other libraries do the Box and Discussion tabs? I think it a good idea to encourage dicussions as a means of discovering what your readers want.
  3. Twitter I like as quick bits of information that could draw people to more in-depth sources.
  4. RSS Feeds and Delicious can be very useful, but you do need discipline as some 23 Thingers have mentioned since you can get overwhelmed with such delightful information to bring on a headache!
  5. YouTube and podcasts are addicting and bad for my health (I'll stay up until the wee hours of the night watching & listening). If you develop the skill of making these they provide an additional eye-catching method of educating (like the SSL induction video).
  6. Flickr and Picnik are fairly easy to learn and don't take over your computer like Picassa (grrr). I use Flickr to store photos for blogging purposes.
  7. Office 2.0 and wiki's are great ways of collaborating if you aren't a control freak. Particularly Office 2.0 since those who are working from different computers can always have access to their works in progress. Must keep aware, though, of potential big Brothers searching through your files, and that if the "Cloud" collaspes, you're screwed (keep back-ups at home).
My groan-o-meter:
  1. Linkedin: I wasn't willing to provide so much information unless I was looking for a job. A student doing a DPhil thesis on the informal means of scientific collaboration found that scientists preferred setting up blogs than using Linkedin. They saw it as just for job hunting.
  2. ThinkFree: too slow, too fiddly with several windows to open, and not free (only free 30 day trial).


The following portion corresponds with the Flickr Photostream display (hopefully) on the left.

What can we expect of libraries in the future? Beautiful old libraries will be given over to the tourist trade with all the dust, cobwebs and old dons removed and automatic aerosol dispensers strategically placed to squirt out essences of leather binding, brass and wood polish.

There has been a proliferation of new libraries of fantastic architectural designs that are revamping the concept of "library". No longer just a repository of fusty books; they are Idea Shops, Information Centres, community centres that provide child-care, theatres, cafes, lounges with a view, offices, computers, computers, computers! How about computers powered by tread-mills; keeping our readers fit and our environment green.

No longer will librarians be glued to their reference desk. Desks will be too hot to stay put. We need to be on the go, like the lady with her mobile desk, ever vigilant for a confused and puzzled look: "May I help you?" Or if the budget gets too tight for full-time librarians, how about Courtesy Nodes dotted about the Human-Information Interaction Zone.

Of course, Cloud computing with their database warehouses could put pay to analog libraries. The virtual library would be accessible from your personal living space (the chair/computer set-up is just perfect for my style of horizontal reading). However, that wouldn't mean the end of the librarian career. We just need to be more creative and colourful in our approach. There will be people who would miss the human-touch of knowledge and thus I suggest Librarian Gypsies who travel the length and breath of Britain reading the "Cloud" for their customers.

Anthracothorax: Sadness of the end, warmth in communal support- Web 2 future joy. #ox23
Thank you Oxford 23 Things organisers.

1 comment:

  1. Great summary! Glad you've enjoyed it and found it useful, and congratulations on getting to the end!

    ReplyDelete